A preliminary version of “Connecticut’s Public Libraries: a Statistical Profile, July 2016 to June 2017” is now available. The format is slightly different than in previous years.
This preliminary data is made available for libraries that need the newest data ASAP, and to allow libraries to review the data before the official version of the Profile is released in January. Other statistics resources, such as new Chart-creators, will be available in January as well.
For those interested, here are some items of note in these new statewide public library statistics:
- Circulation per capita fell for the 6th straight year.
- Library visits and reference transactions show similar declines.
- Electronic media circulation as a % of all circulation rose from 6.1% to 7.5%.
- Program attendance and computer use stayed about the same.
- About a quarter of the libraries reported a decline in their municipal appropriation this year. That is up a bit from last year.