Essex, Middlesex County,
Town established September 13, 1852 as Old Saybrook. Name of town changed July 8, 1854 to Essex.
Parent Town: Saybrook
The Essex Probate District was constituted July 4, 1853 as the Old Saybrook Probate District from the Saybrook Probate District and changed its name to the Essex Probate District in July 1859 when a new Old Saybrook Probate District was created. The Essex Probate District merged with the Clinton, Deep River, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Saybrook, Saybrook, and Westbrook Probate Districts on January 5, 2011 to create the Saybrook Probate District. The Essex Probate District serves the municipalities of Chester, Clinton, Deep River, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Westbrook.
Town of Essex, Probate District chronology:
September 1852– July 3, 1853, Saybrook District
July 4, 1853 – January 4, 2011, Essex District (name was Old Saybrook until July 1859)
January 5, 2011 – Present, Saybrook
The Connecticut State Library does not hold any original records from the Essex Probate District. It does have microfilmed copies of record books, 1853-1918.
For Probate Court contact information and hours of operation see, Probate Court Directory