Guide to Connecticut Legislative History
There are three types of legislative history documents that relate to each act passed by the Connecticut General Assembly:
- House of Representatives proceedings
- Senate proceedings
- Public hearing transcripts
Complete legislative histories begin with acts passed in 1953. Public hearings from this year back to 1899 are also available for some committees.
You can obtain copies of this material by:
- Visiting the State Library in person or placing an order by phone. Please see our policy on photocopies.
- Searching our compiled histories by act number (In addition to previously ordered histories, full-text is available from 2009-present)
The Judicial Branch Law Libraries have legislative histories from 1980 to 2009 on microfiche.
The Connecticut General Assembly search page offers full-text transcripts of House and Senate proceedings and Committee public hearings from 1988 to the present online. *Please note this material is not paginated, indexed, or corrected. Submitted testimony for the public hearings is not available prior to 1999.
For self-paced instruction on how to effectively access these online transcripts, visit our Legislative Search Instructional Video and the Judicial Branch’s step-by-step tutorial.
Landmark Legislative Histories
Separately prepared volumes contain compiled legislative histories on select landmark Connecticut legislation. In addition to the complete official transcripts, volumes include:
- Act summaries
- Glossary of terms
- Relevant supporting material from the Permanent Bill File Archive and the State Documents Collection.
Online versions are also available:
- Legislative history of “An Act Concerning Revision and Codification of the Substantive Criminal Law. This act shall be known as the Penal Code”, Public Act 69-828, 1969 House Bill no. 7182
- Legislative history of An Act Concerning the Death Penalty, Public Act 73-137, 1973 House Bill no. 8297
- Legislative history of “An Act Concerning Lethal Injection, Proportionality Review of Death Sentences and Murder of a Child”, Public Act 95-16, 1995 Senate Bill no. 855
Legislative history of “An Act Concerning the Death Penalty“, Public Act 95-19, 1995 Senate Bill no. 852
Connecticut Constitutional Amendments adopted between 1965 and 2005.