Thousands of researchers visit our busy department each year in search of information about our state and its diverse population. Our reference staff assists a steady stream of genealogists, historians, students, state employees, attorneys, environmental researchers, and others in search of historical information about our state and the people who have lived in it. We maintain and provide access to comprehensive collections of materials on the history of Connecticut and its people in support of the Connecticut State Library’s mission in Preserving the Past. Informing the Future.
Archives & Secured Collections – Choose this link to find out how to request archival materials and see what original records we hold.
Historical & Genealogical Collections and Databases – Choose this link to find what materials we have on historical & genealogical topics and what online searchable databases are available.
What will you find in H&G?
- A series of unique slip indexes, providing citations to many types of records, such as vital and probate records
- Microfilm of Connecticut vital, land, probate, and church records
- Access to archival materials, such as records of state government, manuscript collections, aerial photos, etc.
- An amazing variety of other research materials
- Assistance in planning your research and locating materials